Being a parent can be busy and stressful, and with lots to do we often forget to make time for ourselves. It’s important to take a step back out and give yourself a break, so here are some useful suggestions on how to take time out and treat yourself.
- Take a break, even for just a few minutes. You may not be able to avoid all the stress, but you can get away for just a short time to help you feel less overwhelmed. Giving yourself permission to take a brief ‘stress break’ with a hot drink, and often the brief pause means you’ll return with a new perspective.
- Over the holidays, stay healthy and bring back memories of summer days on the cold winter mornings by creating a delicious breakfast for yourself. Perhaps a sweet natural fresh Greek yogurt loaded with dried fruits, nuts and honey or homemade smoothie. You can swap the dried fruit for fresh or frozen berries. Choose your favorite!
- The trick is to fit in ‘me’ time when it works for you. You don’t need to hire a babysitter or ask someone to watch over the kids to enjoy a short break. You can do this when the little ones are sleeping at home, or during your break at work.
- You may not feel like it but exercise fills you with endorphins and can keep stress at bay, even if it’s just going outside for a walk or a little dance around the living room. The trick is to find the type of exercise you enjoy. You can also get the kids involved too so everyone benefits.
- Making time to have a fifteen-minute to a one-hour break can work wonders. You can listen to relaxing music, read an inspirational book, engage in a hobby, catch-up with friends on social media, or just take a nap.
- Who doesn’t love a chocolate treat? On busy days reward yourself with some dark chocolate – with a high percentage of cocoa solids, it has potential benefits in terms of heart health and slightly reducing blood pressure.
- Take advantage of all those extra visitors (and potential babysitters) over the holiday season and book a beauty treatment, shopping trip or simply a catch-up with friends.
We’d love to hear your top time out suggestions! Share your thoughts with other moms on Philips Avent Facebook.